Friday, February 03, 2006

Mmmmm Chocolate Cake.


This was fun. I made this chocolate cake this week. I went to a chocolate class taught by Alice Medrich, the chocolate queen before Christmas and learned how to make this cake. A friend's birthday was this week so I made it for his birthday, but I really was just looking for an excuse to make the cake. The cake is three layers of devil's food cake with a whipped choclate ganache between the layers and coated with a bittersweet choclate glaze and chocolate fans attached around the sides. I used Scharfenberger semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolates and a little white chocolate on the fans to create a color contrast. The cake was fun and I would meke it again but only for a special occasion. First, it's not a cheap cake to make, between $30 and $35 dollars if you use the good chocolate, and second it is time consuming, you can make it over a few days but the day you assemble it requires a least half a day.
I have to say the cake is worth it. It has so many different flavors of chocolate and melts in your mouth. It is very rich though and a small slice will satisfy anyones chocolate cravings for days.
Adios!

No comments: